Wednesday 15 April 2015

Artist Statement – Rachel Barton 
My primary concern is exploring the human condition. The conscious and subconscious torments and the haunting from the additional fears and preconceived notions that society has ironed into us. I have a multidisciplinary art practice that combines melancholy and humor to convey the absurdity and cruelty of life. Recently Iv been focusing on drawing and traditional hand drawn animation .My drawings are instantaneous – they quickly plunge into the (viewer's) subconscious leaving a very unique impression with a mix of deep sensitivity and black humor . They are accompanied by a narrative of poetic ramblings of disjointed trains of thought. I create characters out of abstract notions we channel and the people that frequent my every day. Some images give the sense of a bold child stamping its feet and others will tell you to get lost. These can read as a diary (and/or) a journey of fragmented memory. .

No comments:

Post a Comment